Monday, October 8, 2018

A Community of the Broken -- World Communion Sunday


Mark 10:2-16

October 7, 2018


            I sat there feeling hopeless. Shame and guilt washed over me in relentless waves. The topic of our conversation had shifted, and one person dominated the discussion. What is wrong in our society, he said, is that our kids are coming out of broken homes. Homes with single moms, he said, and no fathers in sight. It is these broken homes, these broken families that are at the root of our crumbling culture.
            This was about six years ago. I was sitting in a ministerial association meeting – actually, I was hosting it, because we were in the parlor of the old church. The person talking was and is a minister in this community. It turns out, although I didn’t know it at the time, that he too has been married and divorced – more than once on both accounts. But I didn’t know that. What I did know was that I was newly separated. I was now a single mother, and if I believed what this man said, my kids were doomed.
            As he continued to talk and talk and talk, I got quieter and quieter. I didn’t know where to look. Catching the eye of another colleague was impossible. I didn’t want to look at them. I was too ashamed. I just bowed my head toward my hands, closed my eyes, and prayed that this rant would soon be over; that he would either run out of steam and stop on his own, or that someone would interrupt him. I don’t remember how it ended. I just know that it did. I held it together until the last minister left, then I sat and cried.
            I suspect that this other minister was not trying to shame me. I would like to believe that had he known my situation, he would have held his tongue or at least worked at some sensitivity. But even if he had done either of those things, I doubt that my shame and guilt would have been abated. Even if he would not have made any of those remarks, I would have still heard them. I was saying them to myself every day. I didn’t need to hear a sermon about the evils of divorce; I was preaching that sermon to myself on a regular basis.
            Hearing this passage from Mark may bring out those kinds of sermons in our heads. After all, it would seem that this passage is designed for just that purpose. Jesus was on the move again, drawing crowds and teaching them as they went. Into this setting some Pharisees came to Jesus to test him. That might be a clue to us that this passage is not just another way to condemn those who have failed in their marriages. The Pharisees wanted to test Jesus, and we know that whenever Pharisees wanted to test Jesus, there was more at stake. Testing was another way to try and trick him. They wanted to catch him up in a trap of the legal kind.
            But Jesus never fell for it. He never gave them the satisfaction. They asked a question about divorce, which was a legal issue, and he turned the law back on them.
            “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?”
            “What did Moses command you?”
            “They said, ‘Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of dismissal to divorce her.’ But Jesus said to them, ‘Because of your hardness of heart, he wrote this commandment for you.’”
            Because of your hardness of heart … it wasn’t that Jesus didn’t take marriage seriously. He quoted from Genesis to show the divine intent behind marriage. He spoke privately to his disciples about remarriage being adultery. But he was pushing them to see something more, something bigger.
            Although the Pharisees asked about the lawfulness of divorce, that legality was not really in question. Even though divorce was frowned upon, it was assumed that it would sometimes happen. It was perfectly legal for a man to divorce his wife. And there was no long drawn out court process for this. He only had to write a “certificate of divorce.” As I understand it, that was basically the husband writing down, “I divorce you” and handing it to his wife. The reasons for divorce could be as simple as the wife burning the husband’s dinner just one too many times.
            Jesus was not countering the Pharisees test of lawfulness with more legalism. Jesus pushed back on their hardness of heart. A divorce was a breaking of relationship, and that breaking of relationship often left the most vulnerable in society even more vulnerable. Women had no status or power outside of their husband or other men in their family. To be divorced was to lose the protection of that man. I have said it again and again, and I will keep saying it, there is a reason why we so often hear about care for the widows and orphans. It is because women and children were the most vulnerable in that society. Divorce exponentially increased that vulnerability.
            Up to this point in the narrative, Jesus had been trying to teach the disciples and the crowds that the kingdom of God was for those who were vulnerable. It was for the least and the lost. Jesus had already pulled a child into his lap and told the disciples that welcoming such a little one, a vulnerable one, was welcoming him and welcoming the One who sent him.
            Divorce was a breaking of relationship that caused harm, real physical harm to those who were left in its wake. I know that can still be said about divorce today. It would seem that I am backing up the words said by that minister six years ago; that the troubles of our society spring from the broken family. If only families stayed together, all would be well. But here’s the thing: divorce does happen. And it hurts. It hurts like hell. And it can harm. But brokenness is not limited to divorce and divorce alone. We are broken; all of us. We are all wounded in one way or another. We are all damaged by the struggles of life. To live is to eventually be broken. To live is to eventually experience broken relationships and broken hearts. You do not have to live through a divorce to know that.
            But what makes me so sad is that when it comes to church, when it comes to being the church, we seem to forget this reality of the human condition. We seem to get it into our heads that church is the place where only the really, really good folks get to go. I have heard many people say that they were faithful members of their church … until they got divorced. Then they no longer felt like they could attend. They felt like they just weren’t good enough to sit in the pews. It was as if divorce stained them so badly, they could not get clean again.
            When I was going through my divorce, I considered leaving the ministry for those same reasons. Who was I to stand in this pulpit and preach when I had failed so terribly, so horribly? But Alice told me something at one point that helped me more than she knows. She said that going through this would make me a better minister, because I would have even more empathy, more understanding for the pain others go through. I don’t know if I have proof yet that she was right, but I do have hope.
            You see we are all broken, in one way or another. Today as we celebrate World Communion, I cannot help but think about all the people around the world who will gather at tables and altars, in large cathedrals and small storefronts, and take the bread and the cup. I cannot help but imagine all of the stories that will be brought to those tables. I cannot help but imagine hundreds of thousands of broken people gathering to hear the familiar words, “The body of Christ, the blood of Christ.”
            We are all broken. We are a community of broken people, but we are also a community of blessed people. We are a community of blessed people because God does not abandon us to our brokenness. God does not give up on us because we are broken. God calls us out of our broken places, God calls to us in the brokenness of our hearts. God calls us not only in spite of our brokenness, but maybe because of it. God calls us and God loves us. God binds up our broken hearts. God pours the balm of love and healing on the broken places and the broken relationships. God calls us to the table, broken and blessed, and tells us the good news that the kingdom is for the broken and the lost and the vulnerable. God blesses us just as Jesus blessed those children.
            We are a community of broken and blessed people. May we acknowledge our brokenness, and may we see the brokenness in others. Then may we reach out to them in love and grace, just as God reaches out to us, with love and tenderness and grace over and over again.
            We are a community of broken and blessed people. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment