Monday, October 9, 2017

The Word of God -- Sola Scriptura -- Scripture Alone

II Timothy 1:1-7, 3:14-4:5
October 8, 2017

            “Take out your Bibles.”
When my parents were kids, one of the things they did in Sunday school and in church was Bible Drills. I cannot tell you if “take out your Bibles” were the exact words used to get them started, but if not, something similar was most likely said. In these Bible drills, the kids, including my parents, would be quizzed on Bible trivia.
            For example: how many books are there in the Old Testament? How many are there in the New? They would also be given a book, a chapter and a verse, and have to find it as quickly as possible. So I imagine they would hear the words, “take out your Bibles.”
            I remember having some emphasis put on learning Bible verses when I was a kid, but I don’t remember Bible drills like the ones my parents had. The focus in my Sunday school classes and in Vacation Bible School was on stories. But I took a Bible survey class in seminary, in which the purpose was reading and studying the entire Bible in a semester. Our first quiz was to write out the books of the Bible in order and spell them correctly. That quiz was weighted in our favor to help us when we bombed some of the other quizzes which were extraordinarily hard. I admit that there were a few quizzes that I bombed. And just a year or two ago, Ben Williams at Wesley United Methodist Church gave me a mnemonic device for remembering the order of Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians: Giants Eat Peas and Carrots. I always struggled to keep those four books in the correct order, but now I struggle no longer, because along with the blood of Englishmen, giants eat peas and carrots.
            There is debate over the value of teaching the Bible in these ways. I understand why my professor wanted us to know the books of the Bible in order. It was more than just giving us a head start on our grade; knowing the books in order helped us find our way through it easier. If you thought Thessalonians was in the Old Testament or that Nehemiah was in the New, you were going to have a hard time keeping up.  And I think there is a spiritual discipline to learning scripture verses. I have had confirmation classes do that. Each week, I would challenge my confirmation kids to memorize verses as a way to keep them reading the Bible. If you are memorizing verses, you are opening up the Bible and reading it.
            But memorization does not necessarily lead to critical thinking; nor does understanding the outline of scripture lead to digging into the depth and breadth of meaning that is found in our sacred book. What does it mean to say that our Bible is a sacred book in the first place? What did Paul mean when he wrote to Timothy that “all scripture is inspired by God?” What do we imply when we refer to the Bible as the Word of God?
           There are more answers to my questions than I have time for in this sermon or in a thousand sermons, for that matter. However, questions about what it means for scripture to be divinely inspired are as relevant today as they were when Timothy was beginning his ministry.
            For the reformers, putting an emphasis on scripture alone – sola scriptura – was a response to the church’s teaching of the tradition of the church over and above the teachings of scripture. One of the great gifts that Martin Luther gave to the common person of his day was the translation of the Holy Bible into the German language. Suddenly it went from being in Latin – a language only the most learned, upper class, and often priestly people could read, to something that folks with a basic education could read. It put God in the hands of the people. I call this a gift. Some might call it a curse. But for the reformers, like Luther, like Calvin and Zwingli, etc., scripture was our primary source for learning about God. The traditions of the church may help us in many ways – but they did not outweigh scripture. They were not more authoritative than scripture. Scripture was the inspired Word of God; therefore it was scripture alone, not the traditions of the church that provided the foundations of belief.
            But what does Scripture tell us? Paul told Timothy that,
            “scripture is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.”
            I agree with all of the above, but I know that I differ greatly from many of my colleagues on what I think scripture is teaching us, and in what comes into my mind and heart when I say that scripture is the inspired Word of God. I do not take the Bible literally. If I did, I could not stand in front of you this morning. I do not think the Bible is inerrant. I think that it was written by human beings, who were trying to discern, just as we are, what God was and is doing in the world – through them and through other people. And I do not discount that other religions have scriptures and writings that are equally as sacred to them as ours is to us. I recognize that for the controversial statement that it is; and I know that it is unfair of me to say something like that in the pulpit, because you have no chance at this moment to respond. Feel free to see me after worship.
            I also do not believe that the Bible is a historical text. If it were, we could not preach on it and study it and gain new understandings from it week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade, century after century. No one, even one who takes the Bible completely and utterly literally, presents the Word of God without interpretation. It is not historical, it is a living thing. I know that sounds strange, but bear with me. The Word of God is alive – not in an inanimate object, but in our reading of it, our understanding of it, our living of it. This book is not so much the history of God, as it is the story of God and a particular branch of God’s family. But that branch is part of a much larger tree. That branch includes us. We are still living the story. It seems to me that in some ways, we are the Word of God. And if there is some truth to that, then that is an awesome, and perhaps awful, responsibility.
            It is a responsibility, because just as living faithfully requires mindfulness and intention, so does living with the recognition that we represent the Word of God to others. We embody the Word of God in what we say and what we do. I can tell you right now that most days I am a poor embodiment of God’s Word indeed.
            When I say that we are the embodiment of God’s Word, that doesn’t mean that we show the world how good we are at following all the rules – the Ten Commandments and any others we may find in scripture. Rules are important, but just following the fules for the rules’ sake is not so much about righteousness as it is self-righteousness. No, I think being the living Word of God means that we show the rest of the world that we are broken people, but that we know it and we repent when we fail and sin, and we show grace and love and mercy to others when they do the same. I think it means that we try to live out Matthew 25: feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, caring for the sick, visiting the prisoner. I believe that being God’s Word in the world is more about walking the walk of faith, or perhaps it’s really limping the limp of faith, than it is talking the talk of faith. That does not mean that we are not called to share the Good News. We are. But if we have received the Good News, if we have felt its power and been overwhelmed by its grace, then just talking about it is not enough. We have to show it and share it and live it and do it and be it.
            Paul began this letter by telling Timothy to rekindle the gift of God that is within him through the laying on his hands, and through remembering the faith that he inherited from his mother and from his grandmother, Eunice and Lois. May this be a moment for our faith to be rekindled, to be stirred up. Think about the shoulders you stand on, the people who have gone before you, who taught you what it meant to be faithful, who taught you how to live in love and grace. One person whose shoulders I stand on is my Gramma Trudy. Who are you thinking about? Whose shoulders do you stand on?
Think about the people who were the living Word of God to you, then go and do likewise. And take out your Bibles again and again, not only to memorize, but to study and to learn and to be reinspired, so that you may go and do and live and be … the Word of the Lord.

            Let all of God’s children say, “Alleluia!” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment