Thursday, October 27, 2011

Joy Comes In Cake Size

The author's 3rd Birthday.  Note how she wields the knife.

I remember when I used to love birthdays.  The first day of October meant that my birthday month had finally arrived!  I would begin the countdown, and just like waiting for Christmas, each day seemed to pass more agonizingly slowly than the day before.

Finally the day would arrive.  (That's October 23rd in case you were wondering.  Don't feel bad if you missed this year.  I'll be happy to receive your salutations next year.)

Some years I would have a party with friends.  Other years only my immediate family would gather round to sing that song I can't sing in public without violating ownership rights.  But either way, I loved my birthday.

What's not to love?  Candles.  Cake.  Ice cream.  Gifts.  More cake.  Birthdays were special.

It's not that I don't love them as I get older.  In fact I'm more grateful than ever that they're still coming around.  And this year's birthday on Facebook was the best one ever!  But even with that said, I can't help wonder at how much I take them for granted.  Even more than that, I take the elements of birthdays for granted.  Like cake.

On NBC Nightly News I saw a story about a woman in Kentucky who started a volunteer organization called Sweet Blessings.  She and other volunteers, young and a little older, get together and make beautifully decorated, personalized cakes for children who's families are in rough shape financially and otherwise, as well as for children who are suffering from serious illnesses.

These children can't afford, literally or emotionally, to take a birthday cake for granted.  But through the gift of these volunteers they can have a birthday cake that rivals some of the best Ace of Cake creations.  (It's okay Chef Duff -- we still love you!)

I realize it probably doesn't sound like much.  It's just one feel good story in the midst of so many other stories about war, protests, earthquakes, and the economy.  But a feel good story does more than just warm our hearts.  It reminds us that the little things count.  It reminds us that giving a child something to be joyful about, even a child we'll never meet -- especially a child we'll never meet -- is important.  Maybe remembering that children  need to experience joy will help us to be ever mindful about all the other things children need .. and too many don't receive.

So thank you Sweet Blessings for reminding me that joy is something that can be given, shared, sent out, mailed and delivered.  Joy can come in cake size.

No comments:

Post a Comment